Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Despise You/Agoraphobic Nosebleed - And On And On...



This brand new split EP has been highly anticipated by nearly everyone familiar with grindcore. It features undeniable titans of the genre Agoraphobic Nosebleed and one of the originators Despise You. Apparently, this is the first new material from Despise You in over ten years, which is exciting, except I had never heard them before this release and was honestly more excited for new ANb material. Regardless of my familiarity (or lack thereof) with 50% of this split, 100% of it rules, and I'm definitely glad I gave it a shot.



We'll start with the first half (tracks 1-18) which comes from Despise You. Like I said, I've never heard these guys before, but I will say that before the first track was even over they definitely grabbed my attention. It's gritty, messy hardcore-tinged crust and it's done perfectly. I think there's even a chick shouting off and on throughout the songs; it's either that or a 10 year old kid snuck into the studio during vocal recordings and fucked with them, and the band liked it so much they kept it in there.

Regardless, the 18 tracks of side A are great. They keep things fresh and different through their 16 minute run time, never repeating the same riff, beat or tempo even once. They've incorporated many different styles into their songs and they have a definite old school sound that reminds me of '90s hardcore and '80s punk. It's actually really cool.

Their lyrics are a little infantile, but I could really care less. Lyrics don't mean as much to me as the music does and they're something I can easily overlook when presented in a succinct musical package. Now I must go find their back catalog and get myself better acquainted with these guys. They kick ass.

Now for side B. The one I really wanted to hear. ANb!!

Agoraphobic Nosebleed have seriously stepped up their game and come into their own since the release of their 2009 album Agorapocalypse. Once a joke(ish) side project of Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer), who were infamous for their hilariously short songs, inhumanly fast programmed drums, and epic track lists, they have evolved into a respectable, talented and mature band that seem to finally take pride in the music they create and relish in keeping it different and experimental.

The 7 tracks contained on their half of the split take the cake for me. Gone are the fast-for-the-sake-of-being-fast drum parts, which have been replaced with a more tasteful and realistic approach to drum programming. The riffs are bone crushingly heavy and articulate, as Mr. Hull is known for, and the overall composition is well thought out and executed.

My favorite addition to the band is vocalist Katherine Katz, whose shrieking screams resemble the sounds of 1,000 children dying in a fire. They're angst-ridden, distasteful and downright refreshing amongst the growled rantings of long time vocalist J. Randall. And I have to say any girl that can scream like that is automatically sexy. Damn sexy. It's these little upgrades and changes to their style and sound that keep ANb way ahead of the pack in modern grindcore. Now if only Scott Hull would churn out a new Pig Destroyer record this year would be complete, and quite possibly the best year for grind in recent memory.

Overall this is an extremely satisfying split. Too often a band that I love does a split with a so-so band that I don't care about and I end up just deleting the other band's songs. But a really good split not only has songs that compliment one another, but highlights each band's eccentricities and presents itself as one cohesive album. This definitely does just that.

9.5/10

Track Listing:
Despise You
1. Bereft
2. Repeat Until You Fail
3. Roll Call
4. 3.26.00
5. Three Day Hold
6. Yes Officer/No Officer
7. Fear's Song
8. Two or Ten Faces
9. Shit Goes In, Shit Comes Out
10. You Can't Fix Me, Don't Trip
11. Painted Gray
12. All The Regimes You Hold Most Dear
13. Destinial
14. Bankrupt Social Code
15. Seven Funerals
16. They All Died Is What Happened
17. ...And Expirations
18. Cedar Ave (Was The Best Place To Watch People Ascend To Heaven)
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
19. Half Dead
20. As Bad As It Is...
21. Miscommunication
22. Los Infernos
23. Ungrateful
24. Possession
25. Burlap Sack


Favorite Songs: Possession/Roll Call

No comments:

Post a Comment