Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gorgasm - Orgy of Murder



The fact that this CD was even released seems like a god damn miracle to me. Gorgasm have always been one of the most promising brutal death metal bands, and when I heard they were breaking up (back in 2007) my heart broke a little bit. But here we are 4 years later and Damien Leski (vocalist, guitarist, main songwriter) found himself a new group of guys to fill in the empty slots and they have released arguably their best album to date, Orgy of Murder.


From the first 5 seconds of the record I could already tell I was in for a treat. It's got their trademark samples leading off a good number of songs, the songs are technical, precise, offensive, and damn heavy. This is undoubtedly their most solid line-up to date. "Dirty Cunt Beatdown" grooves like nobody's business, while "Cum Inside the Carcass" is two-and-a-half minutes of pure technical brutality. It's ball-breakingly heavy.

The musicianship is top notch on Orgy of Murder as well. Kyle Christman (of BDM outfit Human Filleted) is a monster behind the kit, keeping things tasteful while maintaining the speed and brutality the music calls for. And of course Damien shreds the fuck out of his guitar throughout the entire album.

The lyrics are your typical misogynistic, hateful, gore and murder worship manifestos that brutal death and Gorgasm in particular are known for. I don't usually pay too much attention to the lyrics with bands like this, and this is really no exception. I love Damien's voice, his growl is pure evil, but I don't care enough to read sarcastically offensive lyrics more than once just to make sure they're continuing the tradition. Doesn't enhance or detract from the album at all, but they're definitely worth a mention.

Overall I'm really happy with the way this album turned out. Straight brutal death metal is a very hit or miss genre with me, but when I find a band that really stands out and catches my ears I stick with 'em. And Gorgasm are definitely one of those bands. I'll be keeping an eye out for them in the near future, assuming they don't call it quits again too soon.

9/10

Track Listing:
1. Bloodlust
2. Dirty Cunt Beatdown
3. Axe to Mouth
4. Infection Induced Erection
5. Decapitation Sodomy
6. Exhibit of Repugnance
7. Cum Inside the Carcass
8. Third Degree Taste
9. Erotic Dislimbing
10. Scourge of the Christians
11. Silence Follows Dismemberment


Favorite Song: Dirty Cunt Beatdown

No comments:

Post a Comment